Review article

Development of a spatial planning framework on the southern bank of the Neva

UDC: 

725.643

DOI: 

10.23968/1999-5571-2020-17-5-12-19

Pages: 

12-19

Annotation: 

The evolution of the system of public open spaces in the historical core of St. Petersburg is considered, taking into account the gradual expansion of their network and the development of the nomenclature of constituent elements. It is shown how a local network, formed south of the Admiralty on the basis of a three-beam highways (P.M. Eropkin, the 1730-s) and orderly watercourses (A. V. Kvasov, from the 1760-s) in the first third of the XIX century got a connection with the central open space of the city, namely, the water surface area of the Neva. It is emphasized that the inept landscaping of the territories around the Admiralty in the second half of the XIX - the beginning of XX centuries not only closed the main facade of the outstanding architectural monument and destroyed the system of squares around it, but also disrupted the cohesion of the citywide system of public open spaces. Insufficient attention to the resulting defect in the urban planning framework is noted, which may be explained by the wish to achieve idealization of the process of urban planning in St. Petersburg and the undeveloped conceptual comprehension of open spaces in the city.

Authors: 

Lavrov L. P. Saint Petersburg State University of Architecture and Civil Engineering St. Petersburg, Russia

Molotkova E. G. Saint Petersburg State University of Architecture and Civil Engineering St. Petersburg, Russia